The Ladies Aid had its beginnings back in September of 1893 when a couple of neighbor women had coffee with Mrs. Haldor Berge. They decided to have a meeting at the home of Mrs. Severt Giere for the purpose of organizing a Ladies Aid Society. Rev. J. Linnevold, who was pastor at the time, presided at this meeting and Mrs. Haldor Berge was honored to be chosen the first president. She continued in this leadership for several years. Only five women were at this first meeting: Mrs. Haldor Berge, Mrs. Phillip Larson, Mrs. Kjittil Gronseth, Mrs. Severt Edgar, and Mrs. Severt Giere. Each member contributed $0.25 that day to buy material for sewing and hand work to be done at the meetings. They did things like knitting stockings and mittens, sewing men’s shirts, sewing aprons with cross stitching on gingham material, embroidery, crocheting, carding and spinning wool, and braiding rugs. All of this was carried in a wooden box that Mrs. Berge had made for this purpose. This box was given to and highly treasure by Mrs. Berge’s great granddaughter. In 1917, it was decided to divide the general aid into three divisions, the South No. 1, the West No. 2 and the Northeast No. 3. Later it was divided into five units and still later into circles now named Rachel, Esther, Ruth, Naomi and Mary. In 1960, the name of the general aid became American Lutheran Church Women, and in 1989, it became Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, or WELCA. The circle members conducted Bible Study at each meeting and a program was presented at the monthly meetings. Some of the functions of the circles are serving at weddings, funerals, congregational dinners and special events, including a dinner and program to honor the “Golden Members” of the church. The General Aid held a bazaar each year. In the early ears they had an auctioneer to auction off the goods bought. In 1984, two ladies from Evanger attended the ALCW National Convention in Detroit. In 1986, they hosted the World Day Prayer at Evanger. During the war years, the young men in the armed services were remembered with letters and boxes of food and other articles. The Service Flag and the Service Plaque in the church were kept up to date. The Altar Guild was started about 1960. Paraments were made by the ladies. Individual baptismal towels made by Cora Gunneson, Florence Larson and Ruth Wood were given to the babies who were baptized. Two members of each circle comprise the Altar Guild each year.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.